Get Healthy Gums with Periodontal Treatment
We provide comfortable, advanced periodontal treatment at our Friendswood and Pearland, TX, dental practices. Untreated gum disease will destroy your gum and bone tissues over time, which is why it’s imperative to come in for treatment. In fact, gum disease is the number one reason for tooth loss in American adults!
At Montz & Maher our general dentists provide comprehensive care by providing the following:
- Diagnostic and charting services.
- A detailed examination of the gums.
- Professional cleanings and gum therapy in-office.
- Continuous follow-up care for gum and teeth maintenance.
- Education for our patients so they can be aware of available treatments and preventive techniques.
- Testing saliva DNA for bacteria.
- Identifying specific, disease-causing bacteria with a phase contrast microscope.
How Do People Get Gum Disease?
Plaque, the yellowish film that forms on your teeth, emits acid that causes tooth decay and gum disease. If you skip regular dental exams or skip brushing your teeth, plaque will build up and cause dental problems like gum disease.
Is Gum Disease Dangerous?
Unfortunately, gum disease is not only dangerous to your oral health, but to your overall health as well. Not only can gum disease destroy your gum and bone tissues and cause you to lose teeth, but the disease has also been linked to serious illnesses.
The American Academy of Periodontology reports an association between gum disease and problems such as:
- Heart attacks.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Pregnancy complications.
- Pancreatic cancer.
How Do I Know if I Have Gum Disease?
The most common symptoms of gum disease are:
- Gums that bleed easily.
- Swollen or tender areas along the gums.
- Gum tissue that is discolored and patchy.
- Loose teeth.
- Pockets that form in the gums.
- Pus around the teeth and gum line.
How Do You Treat Gum Disease?
At Montz & Maher Dental Group, our dental hygienists are well-trained and can perform periodontal treatment and deep cleanings, also called root planing and scaling, to get rid of bacteria from below the gum line. We also have an on-staff periodontist who provides thorough periodontal treatments, including surgeries when needed. We want to make sure your smile is happy and healthy!
Contact us today to schedule an appointment or consultation if you are in the area, including Manvel!